Here are three simple ways to take care of yourself this summer. Take a breath, relax, and just focus on yourself for a moment!
1. Be able to recognize the signs of caregiver stress. Once you do, we'll arm you with the right strategies for getting rid of it fast.
• Feeling overwhelmed or constantly worried
• Feeling tired most of the time
• Sleeping too much or too little
• Gaining or losing a lot of weight
• Becoming easily irritated or angry
• Losing interest in activities you used to enjoy
• Feeling sad
• Having frequent headaches, bodily pain or other physical problems
• Abusing alcohol or drugs, including prescription medications
2. Accept help. Be prepared with a list of ways that others can help you, and let the helper choose what he or she would like to do.
3. Set personal health goals. For example, set a goal to establish a good sleep routine or to find time to be physically active on most days of the week. It’ll do wonders!